We are delayed…AGAIN. Vampboy was supposed to start chemo on Tuesday, but was delayed because his immune counts (called “ANC”) weren’t high enough, and neither were his platelets. So, we go through the complex process of getting him, Vampmommy, and his cadre of drugs and other supplies into the car for a trip to Boston this morning, only to discover upon arriving that today’s lab work shows his ANC is fine, but his platelets are too low — the count being 72.
It needs to be 75 to start. 3 points off, and we’re now in a holding pattern until Monday. That is, provided that his ANC doesn’t drop below 1000, which it could. If that happens…Tuesday? Wednesday? Of course, that also means that the calendar pushes forward, so our end date now looms a week longer away.
To add to the angst this causes is the fact that we are now on “bonus time”. Had there been no delays, and no additional chemo that came with radiation, we’d be done this week. That was never going to happen, as that’s now how chemo works, but it adds just enough salt to the soul’s wound to sting.
On the bright side, I’m hoping I can carve out a little date-time with VM this weekend, since VB will be in good health and able to hang out with a loving family member for awhile. We’ll squeeze some lemonade from this rotten lemon yet!