I love music…My CD collection, which spans an entire section of our loft space, boasts a considerable expanse of music, from the commonly known to the rare to the oddball. One of my first goals as a parent was to raise a child as hooked on music as I am, so one of my greatest joys is to watch Vampbaby bounce and dance when a CD goes in the stereo.
To date myself a bit, my expansive CD collection used to be a decent size tape collection, and with it came the addictive habit of mix tapes. The perfect way to capture a mood, moment or sentiment, mix tapes were my way of communicating with the outside world. As the technology changed, my mixing moved to mix CDs, but the idea is the same: if my life were a musical, these songs would be playing at this moment.
Most of the time my mixes were for others, but once in awhile I’d throw one together for myself, relieving me of the burden of having to “journal” about some drama in my life.
Well, here we are in the midst of the biggest drama EVER — so a mix is warranted. Of course, in keeping with the times, I have made no “CD”, opting instead to create the mix on my trusty Ipod. So, I give you my latest mix, which I have titled “Induction”:
1. Hide and Seek – Imogen Heap
2. Lullaby in Three/Four – Erin McKeown
3. Elysium – Lisa Gerrard
4. All is Full of Love – Bjork
5. Silent Spring – Massive Attack with Elizabeth Fraser
6. Mole – The Mountain Goats
7. Disenchanted – Everything but the Girl
8. Another Moment – Tanya Donnelly
9. Mandy Goes to Med School – The Dresden Dolls
10. The Best Man’s Fall – Trashcan Sinatras
11. Lullaby – David Gray
12. 1000 Oceans – Tori Amos
13. Sing – The Dresden Dolls
14. North Atlantic Sand – Don Peris with Karen Peris
15. We Walk the Same Line – Everything But the Girl
16. It’s Not Up to You – Bjork
17. Precious – Depeche Mode
18. I Will See You in Far Off Places – Morrissey
19. Moon Over Boston – Tanya Donnelly
20. Shine – David Gray
21. Hymn for the Fallen (Live) – Dead can Dance
22. Ooh Child (Alternative Mix) – Beth Orton
Perhaps you have these tunes in your collection. Or, perhaps you’ll search for them and go insane trying to figure out where I got them. I can say that they are all available somewhere legitimate, if you look around! In any event, take a listen in my ears….